“An Ordinance to provide for the protection and conservation of the Fauna and Flora of Sri Lanka and their habitats; for the prevention of commercial and other misuse of such Fauna and Flora and their habitats; for the conservation of biodiversity of Sri Lanka; to take such measures to give effect to the convention on International Trade in Endangered species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.”
- This Ordinance may as the Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance.
National Reserves And Sanctuaries
|Constitution of National Reserves, Strict Natural Reserves, Jungle Corridors, Refugees, Marine Reserves, Buffer Zones Sanctuaries [2(44) of 1964,2(44) of 1964 2(49) of 1993]|
(1) The Minister may by Order published in the Gazette declare that any specified area of State land shall for the purposes of this Ordinance be a National Reserve and may by that Order or by any Order subsequently published in the Gazette declare that the whole or any specified part of any such National Reserve shall be-
- (a) a Strict Natural Reserve; or
- (b) a National Park ; or
- (c) a Nature Reserve ; or
- (d) a Jungle Corridor; or
- (e) a Refuge; or
- (f) a Marine Reserve ; or
- (g) a Buffer Zone.
(2) The Minister may by Order published in the Gazette declare that any specified area of land within Sri Lanka (other than land declared to be a National Reserve) shall be a Sanctuary for the purposes of this Ordinance.
(3) An area declared to be a Sanctuary may include both State land and land other than State land.
(4) The Minister may by Order published in the Gazette declare that from a specified date –
(a) the limits of any Strict Natural Reserve, National Park, Nature reserve, Jungle Corridor Refuge, Marine Reserve or Buffer Zone, shall be altered of varied ;
(b) any National Reserve or part thereof shall cease to be a National Reserve;
(c) any Sanctuary or part thereof shall cease to be a Sanctuary ;
(d) that a National Reserve of one class shall be a National Reserve of another class.
Elephants And Buffaloes
Protection of elephants and buffaloes in areas outside National Reserves and Sanctuaries.
Vertebrates And Invertebrates
Offences relating to mammals and reptiles not included in
Schedule I [34,49 of 1993]
Protection of plants included in Schedule V.
LISCENCES AND PERMITS
OFFENCES AND PENALTIES
INTERPRETATION AND SAVINGS