HIRING OF INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT – ARCHITECT FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE CONSERVATION
PREPARATION OF DETAILED DESIGNS AND CONSTRUCTION SUPERVISION FOR
THE BUILDINGS AND STRUTURES IN RUHUNU NATIONAL PARK – PATANANGALA
RATIONALE AND THE SCOPE OF THE WORK: The World Bank has extended a
credit to the Government of Sri Lanka for the Ecosystem Conservation and Management
Project (ESCAMP) with the view of improving the management of sensitive ecosystems in
selected locations for conservation and community benefits.
Protected Area Conservation and Management and Nature-based tourism in Protected
Areas are two major sub-components of this project. In line with the scope of the above said
two sub-components, ESCAMP is proving its assistance to upgrade the administrative
capacity of the protected area management to improve conservation and management of the
National Parks of the Department of Wildlife Conservation (DWC).
The ESCAMP expects to hire an Individual Consultant undertake the task of preparation of
detailed designs and construction supervision for the following constructions.
i. Admin Office Complex – Palatupana
ii. Visitor’s Center – Patanangala
iii. Garage, Stores & Workshop for Vehicles – Palatupana
iv. Water Treatment Plant & Storage Facility – Palatupana
v. Assistant Park Warden’s Bungalow – Palatupana
vi. Rangers’ Quarters – Palatupana
vii. Ranger Assistants’ Quarters – Palatupana
viii. Wildlife Guards’ Quarters – Palatupana
ix. Field Assistants’ Quarters – Palatupana
x. Drivers’ Quarters – Palatupana
xi. Finance Assistants’ Quarters – Palatupana
xii. Management Assistants’ Quarters – Palatupana
in Ruhunu National Park in Hambanthota District. The Consultant shall carry out the work in close coordination with DWC as its client.
Objectives of the Consultancy
The objective of this consultancy is to prepare architectural and engineering designs, prepare drawings, bills of quantities, cost estimates, schedules, technical specifications including environment, health and safety requirements, the relevant bidding documents (Design Phase) and subsequent contract supervision (Supervision phase) for construction of said buildings in Patanangala & Palatupana in Ruhunu National Park, Hambanthota District.
The main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the
1. Prepare schematic and detailed architectural and engineering drawings, specifications and schedules, bill of quantities and contract documents according to World Bank guidelines
2. Prepare Architectural plans based on the client’s brief.
3. Prepare drawings for Architectural, Structural and Services (Electrical, mechanical and water supply & drainage and waste disposal) and any other drawings relating to the scope of the work.
4. With the assistance of the ESCAMP procurement staff, prepare Tender documents according to World Bank’s Standard Bidding Documents and cost estimates (BOQs).
5. Assist the ESCAMP during bidding procedure, evaluation and awarding the contract.
6. To assist ESCAMP Engineers for Construction supervision and certification of contractor’s payment certificates.
7. Supervise the work progress and quality assurance, compliance Environmental Management Plan, monitoring and reporting and any other duties as assigned with the client.
8. Inspection of works in regular intervals from beginning to end of the defect liability period.
COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS CORE VALUES & COMPETENCIES
§ Diversity and inclusion
§ Drive for result
§ Working with people
§ Team player
§ A high level of technical knowledge and the experience of proven ability to apply his/her knowledge to practical problems;
§ Team player with the ability to maintain good work relations with individuals of different backgrounds, and to work under pressure.
§ Leading and supervising
§ Able to work in harsh, unstable and difficult conditions, independently and in a team
§ Experience of coordination and monitoring related staff members
§ Following instructions and procedures
§ Understand on government financial regulation, administrative regulation and procurement guidelines
§ Planning and organizing relating and networking & deciding and initiating action
§ Strong cross-cultural communication and resilience skills are very important
§ Understand building design needs in environmentally sensitives sites
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
§ Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Architecture with charted qualifications and at least 08 years of experience in working on building designs or a Master’s Degree in Architecture/Built Environment and at least 05 years of experience in working on
§ Design experience in environmentally sensitive sites such as protected areas and/or eco-tourism fields will be a distinct advantage.
The Consultant shall report to the Project Director, Project
Management Unit, ESCAMP, Ministry of of Environment and Wildlife Resources.
However, all work has to be done with direction of Director General of DWC or his designee.
Remuneration: Negotiable based on the qualifications and experience
Duration: Duration for Design phase is 12 weeks.